Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Boston Marathon

It's the Boston Marathon, but in my mind I have another name for it - WGM.  (World's Greatest Marathon)

The 3rd Monday in April runners flock to Boston to participate in this historic event. It is Patriot's Day, a state holiday in Massachusetts.   I consider myself extremely privileged to have participated in the WGM Boston on 8 occasions.  1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001.  After my inaugural Boston experience in 1992,  I did truly have serious aspirations to run Boston every year thereafter.  Running Boston is among the greatest experiences of my life. 

In 2001, I finished 10th Master female and was awarded a beautiful Waterford Crystal Bowl. (Master in running-speak means over 40 years old.  I was 41.) 

One of my prized posessions!
Every Patriot's Day in my mind I am in Boston.  I obsess about it and my spirit is there, even though I can no longer run.  I think of all my friends who are running the WGM!  Every year I know of at least half a dozen runners who are doing Boston.

This tragedy hits hard.  I know many of us are suffering.  My thoughts go out to all.  We'll get through this, one step at a time.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Mary. It is a sad day when we can't go to a Marathon or race without looking over our shoulder to see if we are safe.MJ

    ReplyDelete