Sunday, March 3, 2013

ELECTION Day in L.A. Tues March 5

This is a friendly reminder to all you Angelenos to exercise your right to vote.  Often times the primary elections in March get highly ignored.  In fact in the last 3 mayoral elections for the City of Los Angeles, voter turnout has ranged between 18% and 38 %, and that figure represents registered voters!  It is a pretty dismal showing indeed.

I found this link which provides a good deal of information on the election.  It also provides several external links and 20 references, with links as well. 

I know many people argue that it isn't a priority to vote in the March 5th primary, since it looks like an almost guaranteed fact that no candidate will receive over 50% of the vote.    If no candidate receives a majority of the primary votes to be elected outright, the top two finishers will advance to a runoff vote on May 21, 2013.  My argument is that citizens of Los Angeles should participate in the election process every step along the way, beginning in the primary.  It is lazy or irresponsible to sit back and wait until May.    

Gerry and I disagree re the logistics of voting; but we both agree on the importance of voting.  He is a vote-by-mail person while I prefer to go to the polling place to cast my ballot.  I know it sounds corny, but I love wearing the "I voted" sticker on my sleeve all day.

Please go out and vote - and encourage your friends and fellow citizens to do so, too!  Let's all show we care enough about the future of the city of Los Angles to let our voices be heard !

2 comments:

  1. Paul and I are with you, Mary -- we like going to the polls with our neighbors. And I wear the sticker all day. Hope LA turned out better this year in this election.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, L.A. voter turnout was a measly 16 %! (That number may increase to as high as 20 % once all the mail-in ballots are tallied.) But still! It amazes me how apathetic our city is re local politics.

      Delete